Sunday, February 22, 2009

Now you're lost in a haze of alcohol soft middle age

Song Of The Moment

Have I mentioned my Dad was an alcoholic? No? Well, I have officially mentioned it. I remember quite well when he drove me to Morell each day for work, barely seeing the road over the steering wheel and through scotch-filled eyes. Almost sent us flying into a construction ravine one day "Damn guy standing in the middle of the road, he tryin' to get killed?" Flagger barely had time to move as we barreled past. I came close to either dying or being wheelchair-bound that day.

Have I mentioned how my best friend turned into an alcoholic too? Busting into my apartment at 6 in the morning, hours before my young one was to come over, drunk off his ass. Eating caramel corn dipped in mustard. All I could do to drive him out of there, before his life wrecked mine. Didn't like how I saw his eyes turn vicious, my old friend had turned into someone else.

Have I mentioned there's a gravestone in the St. Peters Road graveyard, that you will find food placed by the gravestone? He died too young as he took a turn too quick on his dirtbike. I talked about girls to him, in that just turning into a teenager way, and now I look down to only hear nothing from the ground. His parents make sure he is well fed by bringing food to his grave and leaving it for him.

I don't care who you are. People don't drink so they can get better eyesight. And they certainly don't drink so they can make better and faster judgment calls. As for judgement, yep, I've had my wild days. And I learned from them real quick. Spending a paycheque to risk yourself and others is not wise. Accomplishes nothing. Nowadays, I take peace in knowing my boring day-to-day life does not JEOPARDIZE others. People you may care for.



That's it, I'm done.


Ciao

0 comments: