Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I jumped into the river too many times to make it home

Song Of The Moment

So I was invited to go out last weekend. I bailed last moment. On the drive home, I understood why. I wanted to go out, it really sounded like a good time! But for too long now, my Life has rotated around one, simple schedule:

Work all week
Visit with my daughter on weekend

I fought for this schedule. Went a full year without seeing her, unfairly. Took people to court for it, w/o lawyer, and won. Reasoning being? ... my little girl is the most important thing in my world. Now? .. the terminology of "Having a Life" is kind of different for me. My weekends are spent seeing her, so she understands that I am her Dad. So she knows this was *not* my idea.

I don't do much of anything else on the weekends, understandably enough. I hermitized myself, in order to keep room for her. On occassion, I try to do things on my own for fun. But I always end up thinking "Is this *really* what you want to do and where you want to be?" And now, its natural to turn down offers to "go out". People say, in defense, "Why don't you just get a baysitter?" If YOU had to struggle for a year to be permitted to do something you had full rights to, would you let it slip *that* easily?

Trying to work that around a job is interesting as well. I have already let 2 jobs drop because they interfered with this VERY BASIC schedule. And do not have any qualms about letting other things drop for it in the future, if it gets in the way. I think this is completely understandable. Why can't other people understand that I can only set aside Febtober the 35th as a weekend without my little girl?

What gets me though is, when she comes over to visit, I don't really want to be annoyed by people asking me to "go over and visit", and by all means, to give them a hand. Having a truck is great! .. but if it's my one day out of 7 to see my young one, I do not want to spend it helping someone move, while she tries desperately to keep herself amused. I want her & I to do things together, like a Father & a Daughter should. Is that too much to ask?







Ciao

4 comments:

Lorrie said...

Monkeyboy...I think its perfectly normal and good that you want to spend your time with the Princess,after awhile when you are both real comfy and have healed somewhat from that time away from each other...life will find its way.Its all a period of adjustment and she is still such a little girl.Go Daddio...you are doing just fine.

Anonymous said...

by cracky, i think there may be hope for yer.

kids are only kids for a short time and being the single most influential man in your dearone's life is a HUGE responsibility. sounds like yer getting the hang of it.

no worries, when she is old enough to tell you what the world is about, there will be time enough to "get a life" (gawd i hate that expression), "go out" and if the truck holds out, help ppl move, if that's what yer into.

the blood you spilled, and the tears you cried.............yeah princess amber is worth it......and so are you my friend.

Anonymous said...

You are a wonderful father!

Fiend said...

Thank you everybody... its hard when your "thinks" distract you, y'know?