Sunday, October 22, 2006

The only thing that could give me cavities is dynamite

Song Of The Moment

So my daughter has a video game liking. Its not really something to be alarmed about. Yes, at times I have to say "Ok, thats enough. Time to do something else.", but I know what I was like as a kid and can understand. Yeah... I have fond memories of video games. Renting Castlevania 2 from the corner store at lunch and playing it all weekend with the lights off. Wanting the "gold" NES Legend of Zelda II so bad, and then ultimately getting it for my birthday. (complete with 'rapid-fire controller', so I could turn the rapid-fire on, leave for an hour and come back to 6 kajillion experience points).

Then, of course, there was MegaMan. My nephew & I would rent it from Videotron, just 5 minutes walk down the road from where we would play it religiously... all weekend, all night. We'd stay up til 2 or 3 in the morning, trying to get past this boss and that boss. Waking up would be "Did you save it?" to be responded "yeah" by me, with what we called "Nintendo-Eye"... where you played Nintendo so long, your eyes blurred and actually hurt and your thumbs were numb...NUMB!

So now, watching my young one play video games, its ok. I don't ban them. I don't fully condone them either though. But, if she looks back on her childhood and remembers her accomplishment at how she figured this puzzle out on this old video game, thats not so bad. Is it?





Ciao

2 comments:

niffty friggins said...

i'm currently hooked on fight night 2004 for ps2... my tthumbs are really sore.... i can't flick a lighter with my thumbs... it hurts... ouch...

Fiend said...

Resident Evil 4 for me, currently.
Finished the game a while ago...damn mini-games are friggin' addictive... something about cocking a shotgun and blowing zombie-dudes' heads off keeps me coming back for more!